Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Teaching Toddlers: Stranger Danger

<p>About a year ago an incident occured in our neighborhood; a man offered a ride to a boy at the bus stop. Thankfully the little boy ran to the nearest house, police were called and it hasn't happened since.&#160; </p>
<p>Since then I've been trying to teach my kiddos about the very real danger of strangers.</p>
<p>This past week I introduced Amelia to a friend of mine who she had not met before. When I asked her to say "hello" she said that that person was a stranger. I don't know why, but I hadn't really thought about it like that. I knew the woman but Amelia didn't, so to her it was a stranger.

So here's my question(s):
How do you teach your kids about strangers without adding unneeded fear?
How do you explain the difference between "good" strangers (when you are lost in the grocery store and need help) and "bad" strangers?

I appreciate your suggestions!

No comments: