Monday, January 14, 2013

Mommy's Musings: changing our habits

So in an effort to be all around healthier, one major change we have made is the food we're eating.

I thought it would be really hard (not to mention expensive) to eat more real food but I was so wrong. Tim and I both agree that we feel so much better without all the "junk" that we were eating.

The biggest challenge has been finding family friendly snacks and recipes. So I'm going to share some things that have helped us.

Prepping Food:
As soon as I get home from grocery shopping I wash, peel, and cut all produce (other than apples, onions etc). I bag the lettuce, dice and slice the tomatoes, celery, and green onions. This leaves me no excuse to NOT

eat a salad. Homemade: The fruit snacks and other snacks the kids beg for have so much junk in them, not real great for the kids. So I've had to get creative, homemade granola bars, dried fruit, smoothies etc. Shockingly the kids haven't really noticed a huge change! This week we are experimenting with some new recipes, including cauliflower crust pizza, a "clean" chicken stir-fry, veggie "lasagna", homemade ranch dressing (using greek yogurt) and some fruit roll-ups! Its really not that different in price. We arent spending money on sugar cereals or processed foods but instead buying loads of fruits and veggies! It takes a little more creativity and some extra planning but I'm having fun AND my family is benefiting from a healthier diet! So whats your favorite "clean" meal?

No comments: