Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Why We've Chosen to Go Against the Flow

Since deciding that we would home school we have gotten lots of questions, the basic how and when but usually it's why.  So in a nut-shell, here are our answers to your questions!


Why are we choosing to homeschool?

  1. Feeling called. God has blessed us with these children and I want as much time with them as possible. That may sound selfish, but I have been put in their lives to teach them, just as they've been put in my life to sanctify me. How can teaching and sanctification happen when we aren't spending time together?
  2. There are things you learn at home that you just can't learn in school. Plain and simple, when you are in a school setting with one teacher and 30 kids there just aren't the same opportunities available as there are when it's one mom and 3 kids. (if you really want specific examples, I'd be happy to share some!)
  3. Deuteronomy 6:5-7 says “Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” How can I teach my children when they aren't with me? Once kids are in school full time (from 1st grade on), they are out of the house more than they are home, this doesn't leave much time for us to instill truth into their little souls.
  4. Luke 6:40 “A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.” Which teacher do I want them to be like?
  5. I can go at the child's pace instead of the classroom. Some kids are kinetic learners, others are auditory, I can base our curriculum on what my kids need instead of state mandates.
Won't they miss out on socialization?
Between having a large family, church, playgroup, ballet class and the kids in our neighborhood our kids get lots of socialization. :)

How will you have time to home school?
Thankfully, preschoolers don't require a lot of “school time”. Yes we are busy, but other than my oldest, the other kids all take wonderfully long afternoon naps (the time which we've designated for “school time”). We are starting school this fall the first week of August to get a few weeks under our belt before the new baby comes. It's a priority that we are willing to make time for.

What will you teach (as far as concepts and curriculum)? *Lots more on this next week!
We'll be using lots of different things to teach fun concepts (counting, shapes, letters, writing etc).

As far as “curriculum” goes I'm using several different resources, including “Learning at Home” by Ann Ward and “Rod and Staff” workbooks.

 


Wouldn't it be nice to have the kids out of the house for a while each day?
Honestly, there are days (okay most days) when I think it would be nice to have an hour or two of uninterrupted time to get things done, laundry, dishes etc. However when I really think about it, my ultimate job in this life is to take care of the precious souls God has entrusted to me. Again, I can't do that when I'm sending them off to school everyday for 8 hours a day.

There is so much more to it and I'm more than happy to share what's on my heart but these are the questions we get most often. I'm sure I've forgotten things and I'm sure I've offended someone but you asked, I answered. Feel free to leave questions if you have them. 
  
*Coming next - a post of pictures, including Abram's first birthday party! 

No comments: